Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Be Still, Be Joyful

This is a very hard subject to talk about, especially when it has to do with death of a friend. I had just started to miss my friend, Amanda, and thought about giving her a call. I kept thinking of all the things I had to update her on, classes, being a senior, possible job opportunity, and just the usual girl talk. The morning I found out, I decided to curl my hair. This is kind of a silly detail, but it's important because as I was curling my hair, I thought "I wonder if Mandy is curling her hair too. I should really give her a call." She always curled her hair. Then I got the dreaded phone call. The phone call I will never forget, "Mandy Osborn died in a car accident."

Utter shock is the only emotion I could describe at that moment. I was in complete disbelief that my friend, at 23 years old, could be dead. Tears started flowing uncontrollably. I cannot fathom it. It is so difficult to wrap my mind around it. My friend died. I have never had a friend die before. I never wanted it to happen.

It seemed so wrong to be grieving for my friend who had only been 23 for 2 months. I shouldn't be grieving for her, I should be calling her up and updating her on my life and hearing about what is new in hers. We were on the same floor together, sophomore year. I was her honorary roommate that year because I didn't have a roommate first semester. Mandy was a special person. She was always smiling and enjoying herself. When asked how she was doing or how her day was going she'd answer "I'm doing excellent!" "Why is that?" "Because the King is still on his throne. That is a good reason to be happy." So true Mandy.

There was no question about it, Mandy loved life and wanted more than anything to follow God's plan. Mandy lived out her faith. But the question still lingers, "Why would God allow something like this to happen to such a joyful person so soon?" I don't have answers and I probably won't find out until I see Mandy again.

As I kept praying and processing, I started to really get a peace about Mandy. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that she is in heaven praising Jesus with all that she has, and all that she is. She is in a place where there is no turmoil, there is no shame, there is no hurt or pain. There is only joy and peace and happiness. She is in a better place.

Mandy would say, "Why are you crying? You should be rejoicing because I get to be with the King of Kings!" She is the one wearing black in this picture.

All throughout my time at college, God has been speaking to me about learning how to be still. Exodus 14:14 says "The Lord will fight for you. You need only to be still." In moments like this, I need him to be my peace and comfort. Mandy left behind a legacy, a legacy to be joyful. One thing I am learning is that even though my world may be crashing all around me, my God can fight for me, I need only to be still and rejoice in the Father. Thank you Mandy for teaching me how to be joyful.

She was such a great friend who made an impact on my life in more ways than she will ever know. It seems so unfair that she should get to sit at the throne room of the Father so soon. But I will see her again someday.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me- put into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment